How many of these slogans do you know?
I’ve been seeing a lot of TV commercials lately for BDO. You know the slogan, “People who know, know BDO.”
While it is a catchy slogan that is ingrained in my memory, I really don’t know BDO. So, I Googled it.
I learned the network originally formed in 1963 as Binder Seidman International by firms from Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, UK and US. It is coordinated by BDO Global Coordination B.V., with an office in Zaventem, Belgium. The name BDO, devised in 1973, is an abbreviation for Binder Dijker Otte & Co. So, now we know!
Thinking about recognizable advertising slogans, I started making a list. Here’s some really old ones:
• “Melts in Your Mouth, Not in Your Hands.” This M&Ms slogan has been around more than 60 years. I remember it connected with a black and white cartoon commercial featuring M&M stick figures jumping off a diving board into a pool of chocolate.
• “They’re Gr-r-r-reat.” Kelloggs Frosties mascot, Tony the Tiger, is famous for roaring this catchphrase for as long as I can remember.
• “Snap, Crackle and Pop” has been synonymous with the Rice Krispies brand since the 1930s.
• “All the News That’s Fit to Print” has appeared on the masthead of The New York Times since 1897. Owner Adolph S. Ochs created the famous slogan as a declaration of the newspaper’s intention to report the news impartially.
• “The Quicker Picker Upper.” Bounty paper towels, made by Procter & Gamble, has used this catchy phrase for almost 50 years now.
• “Like a Good Neighbor, State Farm is There” was created with a jingle written by Barry Manilow in 1971.
• “Nationwide Is On Your Side” has been ‘on your side’ for over 40 years.
• “You’re In Good Hands” has become synonymous with Allstate Insurance Company since the 1950s.
• “We Bring Good Things to Life,” was initiated by General Electric Co. in 1979. Today’s slogan is “Imagination at Work.”
• “Finger Lickin’ Good” is quickly identified with KFC.
• “Just Do It,” says Nike
• “Got Milk?” Know that phrase, but I wonder how many people know it comes from the California Milk Processor Board?
• “Betcha Can’t Eat Just One.” Lay’s Potato Chips’ catchy dare latched onto our addiction for this crispy, salty and tasty snack.
• “Can You Hear Me Now? Good.” Verizon introduced this iconic slogan in 2002.
• “A Diamond is Forever” has appeared in every single De Beers advertisement since 1948. It was named the best slogan of the century in 1999 by AdAge.
• “It Keeps Going, and Going, and Going...” We cannot forget the Energizer battery slogan.
• “I’m Lovin’ It,” McDonald’s campaign was launched in 2003 and still stands strong today.